Cast Net Fishing

Late afternoon on the banks of the Ohio River in Madison Indiana offered a surprise for me. There was a man using a cast net to fish. It was a surprise for me because as long as I have lived near the Ohio and Kentucky Rivers I have never seen anyone use a cast net. When I lived on the Gulf Coast in Alabama, it was a daily event for me to watch the cast net fishermen carefully gather the net in a very specific way and heave the large round net over their heads...releasing it at just the perfect moment to fall in the water in a wide circle of a net over whatever is swimming below in the water.
It is a wonderful thing to watch the precision and timing involved. So to see it unexpectedly on the banks of the Ohio River was a real treat. If you look in the lower right corner of the river scene below the bridge you will see the cast net fisherman with the net in mid-air. Wonderful surprises await us every day, just keep your eyes open.